About Me

Arkansas
My name is Tritia. I'm a mom to four beautiful little boys. Married to my very best friend, David. I enjoy watching my boys in sports, hanging with my friends, and decorating.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Goodbye Christmas Kitchen!!!

We no longer have green kitchen counters!!!!!

Ever since we had the bright idea to paint the kitchen red, in spite of the counters. I've HATED walking into that space. From the garage, my eyes would go to the counter. Coming from the boy's bedroom, bam..right there to that green backsplash behind the stove. Entering the living room, from our room..I'd look at that counter.
My friends and family were pretty sick and tired of hearing about it, I'm sure.
I could easily re-laminate my whole kitchen all over again, just with samples from over the last couple yrs. Trying to find the right color was the hardest. And wouldn't ya know it? The first one I liked, almost 2 yrs ago. Was the one we went with in the end!! We also played with the idea of doing granite tile. I'm sooo glad we opted out of that one. I'm happy with this. We went for the Wilsonart High Definition laminate. It's not granite..but, it worked well with our budget (or lack there of) And we're not worried about the market and never recouping the cost.


Before


after









Now, we're on to the backsplash.
I think we've opted to go with white subway tile. I know it appears too "stark" next to the richness of the counter. I've been told it'll work if we ditch the oak. Which is the long term goal...to paint the cabinets. I've longed to paint those suckers since the day we bought the house.
But, man..that's a LOT of work. And considering we took off the boy's bathroom vanity doors, umm..2 yrs ago? Primed, and tossed them in the garage until JUST last month. Not so sure we're up for it. :)
I worry about resale,too. In a couple yrs, are new buyers going to come in and be turned off by painted cabinets. Does everyone hate builder, honey oak as much as we do???
We thought about white..but, the appliances stand in our way there. Actually, they stand in the way with my other plan. BLACK! Yep, I long to have black kitchen cabinets. Yes, like many others out there. I'm in love with this kitchen, done by Layla and her husband over at The Lettered Cottage.


They were obviously able to pull off black and white. But, I know she has intentions of going with SS appliances soon. Where we do not. She has wood floor. We do not. Also, we went with a dark laminate. Not sure what her granite will be later on. Maybe something lighter to provide more contrast? We've taped black construction paper all over the cabinets, and well..it doesn't suck, lol. I think I kind of like it. But, for now..I think we'll just focus on the backsplash. See where that takes us. If it's horrible with the cabinets, we'll give painting them a go.
I'm losing steam..and we've hardly done a thing, lol.


















No comments:

Post a Comment